Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Break Listening Project & Sound Opinions

Greetings. I am currently on spring break, and have decided to take on a little project. Full disclosure: this idea came from personal friend, modern-day Renaissance man, and the man behind Man With A Megaphone, Mr. Justin Drabek.

I have picked five albums. Starting tomorrow I am going to listen to one per day, all day, meditate on them, analyze them, hopefully not get sick of them, and report to you my findings via this blog.

The albums I have chosen for my listening project are:
(In no particular order)

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space

Tinariwen
- Aman Iman (Water is Life)

Beach House - Teen Dream

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

Z-Ro - Relvis Presley Mixtape

So there you have it. I have tried to pick from a variety of styles of music that I enjoy. From 1970's prog-rock to modern dream-pop, from desert guitar world music to dirty, dirty southern rap. Not sure which album I am going to start with tomorrow. I guess it will depend on how I'm feeling when I wake up. So stay tuned.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in SXSW '10, NPR has a great music criticism/news/features show called Sound Opinions. It's on IPR every Sunday at 9 pm if you're in the Traverse City area. They just did an awesome show this week about SXSW, and they also review the new She and Him album. If you want to check it out, and you should, you can follow this link to their website. Once you're there, it's show #226 under "Previous Shows" right on the front page.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment